The 4th bi-annual Meeting of Heads of Max Planck Partner Groups took place from 18 – 20 April 2013, hosted by IISER Trivandrum. 25 participants attended the 2-day event. Welcome talks were given by the Director of the Indo-German Science & Technology Center, the Director of IISER Trivandrum and representatives of the Max Planck Society (Dr. Hillinger, Mr. Kahle) followed by scientific presentations by Partner Group Leaders.
Three new Max Planck India Partner Groups were established in 2013 within the framework of the MPG-DST programme. Partner Groups can be established with an institute abroad when a young scientist (Postdoc, max. 38 years) of proven excellence – after a minimum stay of 12 months at a Max Planck Institute – returns to his home country and continues to work on a topic that also enjoys priority at the Max Planck Institute. This is a three years programme financed by the Max Planck Society and the Indian Department of Science and Technology (DST) with the possibility of an extension for another two years.
Max Planck India Partner Groups 2013
- Dr. Sachin Gunthe: Partner Group between Indian Institute of Technology Madras in Chennai and the MPI for Chemistry in Mainz
- Dr. Shravan Mishra: Partner Group between Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Mohali and the MPI of Biochemistry in Martinsried
- Prof. Subhas Chandra Pan: Partner Group between Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati and the MPI for Kohlenforschung in Muelheim
Three new Max Planck India Travel Fellowships were awarded in 2013.The Max Planck India Travel Fellowship or Mobility Grant was established for qualified, promising Indian postdocs up to the age of 35 who are already able to demonstrate a recognisable scientific profile. Scientists who are awarded these grants must spend a minimum of one month per year at a Max Planck Institute; the mobility grant covers travel expenses for up to four years and is increased by additional travel funds from the Indian DST.
Max Planck India Travel Fellowships holders 2013
- Dr. Naveen C. Bisht from the National Institute of Plant Genome Research in New Delhi; MPI for Chemical Ecology in Jena
- Dr. Subbulakshmi Chidambaram from the Vision Research Foundation in Chennai; MPI for Biophysical Chemistry in Goettingen
- Dr. Koushik Dutta from the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) in Kolkata; MPI for Physics in Munich
The next call for Max Planck India Partner Groups and Mobility Grants will be published in 2014.